Summer is finally here, and it’s time to dress up and go on picnics with your kids and family. The outdoors are gorgeous, but there are a lot of bugs around that can do serious harm to your vulnerable little baby. The best way to prevent that is to use the best insect repellent for baby that you can buy. If you don’t know which one to choose, here are some product ideas that we have outlined for you. You can also use our buying guide to make a decision.
Make your next family vacation a breeze
Travel with your kids now and build amazing memories as a family! Get our book, written by parents just like you, that will guide you all the way.
The Best Insect Repellent for Baby for 2022 Review: Key Features, Pros, and Cons
Here, we have outlined detailed reviews of the 10 best insect repellent products that we could find in the market. We’ve tried to include all kinds of insect repellent for babies that you can find today, in the form of sprays, patches, etc. Make sure to go through the reviews and buying guide to figure out what’s best for you.
|Image||Brand||Ingredients||Type of Repellent||Size/Volume||Details|
|Bug Soother||100% lemongrass essential oil, glycerin, castor oil, & Vitamin E||Aerosol spray & candle||8 ounce & 1-ounce spray||Check price|
|California Baby||Citronella, lemongrass, and cedar essential oils with carnauba wax and glycerin||Aerosol spray||6.5 ounces||Check price|
|Quantum Health||Citronella, cedar, geranium, lemongrass, & peppermint essential oils||Aerosol spray||4 ounces||Check price|
|BuggyBands||Made from 100% pure citronella essential oil||Sticker patch||NA||Check price|
|Babyganics||Soybean, rosemary, citronella, geranium, cedar, lemongrass, & peppermint essential oils||Aerosol spray||6 ounces||Check price|
|Lafe's||Geranium, cedar, lemon, eucalyptus, & lavender essential oils||Aerosol spray||4 ounces||Check price|
|Mosquito Guard||Geraniol, citronella, & lemongrass essential oils||Bracelets||20 pack||Check price|
|YAYA ORGANICS||Non-GMO geranium essential oils, sunflower, castor, & soybean oils||Baby Wipes||24 pack||Check price|
|OFF!||15% DEET is the active ingredient||Aerosol spray||4 ounces||Check price|
|Greenerways Organic||100% citronella and cedarwood essential oils||Aerosol spray||12 ounces||Check price|
1. Bug Soother Baby Insect Candle & Repellent Set
- Contains an insect repellent candle
- Made with safe and locally sourced ingredients
- Contains an 1oz & 8oz repellent spray
- Repels 5 kinds of bugs
- Best for all outdoor activities
Bug Soother is a fantastic brand, and their candle and repellent spray set is a great product. It is a set containing two bottles of insect repellent spray and a candle. The candle is made from natural and safe ingredients that will keep you and your baby safe from insects. The spray is also of very high quality, and the little 1oz bottle is ideal for all kinds of excursions.
2. California Baby Plant-Based Natural Bug Repellent Spray
- Contains 100% natural essential oils
- Repels flies, mosquitoes, ticks, and fleas
- Contains no DEET or toxic chemicals
- Contains lemongrass, cedar, and citronella
- Perfect for sensitive skin of babies
California Baby is a fantastic choice if you want something that is completely safe for the soft and sensitive skin of your baby. It is made entirely of 3 pure essential oils that have proved bug repellent properties – cedar, lemongrass, and citronella. It repels all kinds of bugs and contains no DEET or toxic chemicals. These pure and plant-based ingredients are perfect for use on babies, animals, and even adults!
3. Quantum Health Buzz Away Extreme Bug Spray
- Contains 100% natural essential oils
- Best for repelling mosquitoes and ticks
- Effects are very long-lasting
- Lemongrass, Citronella, Cedar, Geranium, and Peppermint
- Contains 0% DEET or artificial toxins
If you want something that’s cheap and easy to carry around on trips to the park, then Quantum Health’s Buzz Away is a great choice. It contains 5 kinds of pure essential oils that are known to have insect repellent properties. You can use this spray to protect your kids from mosquitoes and ticks. We love Quantum Health because their products are effective and last for a very long time.
4. BuggyBands Citronella Mosquito Repellent Patches for Kids – Best Design
- Made of pure citronella essential oil
- Contains no DEET or toxins
- Effects last for 72 hours
- Adorable Baby Yoda designs on offer
- Each set comes with 120 stickers
Ever since the premiere of The Mandalorian back in 2019, Baby Yoda has worked his way into the hearts of kids everywhere. These citronella mosquito repellent patches come with 6 adorable Baby Yoda designs that your toddler will just adore! The essential oil of citronella is very good and one patch can give your kid total protection for 72 hours. You can stick them on clothes, backpacks, furniture, strollers, etc.
5. Babyganics Sun and Bug Combo Set – Best Combo Pack
- Contains sunscreen lotion, stick, & bug spray
- Sunscreen provides 50 SPF protection
- Formulated without any harmful substances
- Bug spray made of 100% essential oils
- Resistant to sweat and water
This is a fantastic combo pack and is great for babies with sensitive skin. Designed to be natural, plant-based, and 100% hypoallergenic, the Babyganic Sun + Bug Set is just awesome. It has two sunscreens in stick and lotion form, that will give your baby 50 SPF worth of protection. The bug spray is made from 100% pure citronella essential oils, and it is also resistant to sweat and water.
6. Lafe’s Natural Body Care Baby Set – Best for Newborns
- Contains diaper balm, moisturizer, and insect spray
- Cruelty-free and vegan
- Made of ethical and organic botanicals
- Completely free of all mineral oils
- Scented with pure essential oils
Newborns are susceptible to allergies and infections. As a new parent, you have to keep your little one safe from bugs. You can use Lafe’s Natural Body Care Baby set, which has the best insect repellent for babies and small children that we’ve come across. It’s an all-natural product that is part of a set containing a diaper balm and moisturizer. All products are cruelty-free and are great for babies.
7. Mosquito Guard Kids Mosquito Repellent Bracelets – Best for Toddlers
- 100% free of DEET
- Comes with 20 long-lasting bands
- Made of 100% pure essential oils
- Mosquito repellent effect lasts for hours
- One-size-fits-all design great for toddlers
If you have a fashion-conscious toddler who’s not a fan of repellent spray, then you can have them wear these bracelets instead. During the summer months, just slap the bracelet on their wrist before they go out to play. Infused with citronella and lemongrass essential oils, this band will keep mosquitoes away from your active toddler for hours. They are 100% DEET free and also have a lovely scent.
8. YAYA ORGANICS Baby Bug Ban Insect Repellent Wipes – Best Wipes
- Gentle non-GMO sourced essential oils
- Naturally bug repellent baby wipes
- Free of toxins and harmful materials
- Ideal for sensitive skin of babies
- Free of alcohol and eugenol
If you’re planning on an outdoors day with your baby, then you should invest in these baby wipes. Made with soft fabric and non-GMO essential oils, they’re the best and most effective insect repellent product that you can look for. Just wipe down your baby with this wipe, and they will be protected from bugs. These wipes are free of all kinds of toxic materials like DEET, alcohol, eugenol, etc.
9. OFF! FamilyCare Bug Spray & Mosquito Repellent – Best DEET Option
- Contains 15% DEET active ingredient
- Works best against dangerous mosquito variants
- Contains no oil or grease
- Great for outdoor trips and camping
- Lasts for a very long time
Taking a break from the organic products we’ve offered so far, here’s a DEET infused bug repellent spray that you should use to tackle heavy cases. For example, camping and outdoors will require you to pack a bottle of the FamilyCare bug spray. It contains 15% DEET and is very effective against all kinds of mosquitoes and bugs. It has a powder dry formula with no grease or oil included.
10. Greenerways Organic DEET-free Bug Spray – Best for Regular Use
- Contains pure cedar and citronella essential oils
- Obtained from natural and non-GMO sources
- Contains no harmful and toxic substances
- Perfect for babies’ sensitive skin
- Hypoallergenic and wonderful aroma
This is the best insect repellent for a baby, especially if you’re looking for something that is best for regular use. This is the best natural and non-GMO insect repellent that we’ve come across, and it’s perfect for babies and toddlers. It contains cedarwood and citronella essential oils, which are very well known for their excellent insect repellent properties. This hypoallergenic insect repellent also has a fresh and lovely lemony aroma.
Here are some of the main considerations that you need to keep in mind while shopping for the best insect repellent for baby. Keeping these in mind will help you make a good decision fast. All of this is advice consolidated from experienced parents and professionals who know the best ways to keep their kids safe.
When choosing insect repellent spray for your kids, you need to think about the active ingredient of the product. We would recommend you avoid products that use DEETsince it can be bad for the growth and development of little kids. Instead, you should explore organic and non-GMO alternatives like Bug Soother, California Baby, Babyganics, etc. DEET is best reserved for any heavy-duty situation like camping.
Type of Product
The best insect repellent for babies can be of many types, such as an aerosol spray, a roll-on, a sticker patch, or a wristband. You need to pick the product type that works best with your needs. If you want your active toddler to stay safe, you should try the BuggyBands citronella sticker that repels mosquitoes and bugs. You can also get them the Mosquito Guard bracelets.
Usage & Convenience
Last of all, you should also think about the convenience that a particular product will provide you with. The best product for you will be suited to your needs and convenience. For example, if you take regular camping trips, then the FamilyCare DEET spray is a great idea. If you have had a newborn recently, then the Lafe’s Natural Care or YAYA Organics baby wipes are really great.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Which insect repellent is safe for babies?
The best and safest insect repellent for babies is anything that does not contain toxic substances like DEET and phthalates. We would recommend you to look into products that are sourced from ethical and cruelty-free sources such as cedar, citronella, & geranium essential oils.
Q: Is DEET okay for babies?
DEET is an active ingredient that you should avoid exposing babies to until absolutely necessary. If you are taking outdoor trips like camping and hiking, then you can use products that have DEET in them.
Q: What is the best DEET-free insect repellent for kids?
We think that the best insect repellent for a baby that’s DEET-free is the Bug Soother insect repellent set, which’s just perfect for babies and toddlers. Apart from this, the YAYA ORGANICS baby wipes set is also a great product.
Q: What essential oils are used for insect repellent?
Some of the essential oils used as insect repellent include geraniol, citronella, cedarwood, and peppermint. Lemongrass and eucalyptus are also great choices.
That’s all of the information that you need to buy the best insect repellent for a baby and kids. All you need to do is go online and find the product that’s perfect for your family. Make sure to do your research before you make the purchase.